Following their apology, the Federation of Kenyan Football (FKF) has pardoned Paul Were and Kevin Omondi and announced the duo will be available for selection when Harambe Stars face Zanzibar Heroes in the semi-finals of the 2012 Cecafa Tusker Challenge Cup.
Were and Omondi were suspended by Coach James Nandwa after sneaking out of camp in the aftermath of the 2-0 win over South Sudan in the group stages something he termed as a disgrace.
The two players were immediately sent back to Kenya but have been recalled to boost the team due to injuries.
Kawowo Sports can reliably attest that the duo jetted into the country on Tuesday night after Kenya beat Malawi 1-0 to reach the semi-finals and will join the rest of the squad in Wednesday’s drills at Kyambogo University grounds.
“Having named the two in a list of 20 players before the tournament, there is no way we can replace them according to the tournament rules and with selected injuries in the team, they would certainly be a boost to the side. They had apologized to the entire nation for their mistakes and will be keen to steer the national team to glory”, read part of the statement from the FKF
Omondi was instrumental in Kenya’s 2-0 win over South Sudan assisting all the goals in the process and is expected to be vital given that Coach Nandwa may be without Bernard M’angoli who limped off in the first half of the 1-0 win over Malawi on Tuesday.
Kenya’s semi-final date with Zanzibar is scheduled for Thursday afternoon at Mandela National stadium, Namboole.
- Kenya Overcomes Zanzibar To Join Ethiopia As Group A Top Teams | CECAFA 2013
- An Impressive Kenyan Performance At Half-Time | CECAFA 2013
- 2014 WCQ Group F: Nigeria out to consolidate lead, Kenya face Malawi
- Bobby Williamson shortlisted for Harambee Stars job
- CECAFA 2012 CUP FINAL: Player ratings: Uganda 2-1 Kenya
Latest from Ismael Kiyonga
- Kimuli denies Bright Stars | Uganda Premier League
- Vipers Vs Soana, KCC Vs SC Villa Called off | Uganda Premier League
- Trouble at Sadolin Paints as players stage sit down strike
- Ex-Inter Coach Hector Cuper is New Egypt Coach
- Vipers out to reclaim top spot as Rwenshama host Bright Stars | Uganda Premier League