Angola cut four players from their preliminary squad to finalize their 23-man selection for the African Nations Cup finals, keeping faith with new striker Guilherme Afonso.
The 27-year-old, who won two caps for Switzerland at under-21 level, had been a surprise selection by Coach Gustavo Ferrin and the subject of speculation in the Angolan press on Tuesday over his chances of making the final cut.
He is one of seven European-based players in the final selection.
Ferrin, who made the announcement at a press conference in Johannesburg on Tuesday, left out four home-based midfielders -- Ary from Primeiro Agosto, Mabina of Petro Atletico, Paty of InterClube and Ito from Progresso Sambizanga.
Angola play in Group A with hosts South Africa, the Cape Verde Islands and Morocco, who they meet first at Soccer City in Johannesburg on Jan. 19.
The 23 man final Squad:
Goalkeepers: Lamas (Petro Atletico), Landu (Recreativo Libolo), Neblu (Primeiro Agosto)
Defenders: Amaro, Bastos (Primeiro Agosto), Dani Massunguna (Primeiro Agosto), Fabricio (InterClube), Lunguinha (Kabuscorp), Marco Airosa (AEL Limassol), Mingo Bille, Pirolito (both InterClube), Zuela (Apoel Nicosia)
Midfielders: Dede, Gilberto (both AEL Limassol), Manucho Dinis (Primeiro Agosto), Manuel (AS Aviacao), Miguel (Petro Atletico)
Forwards: Djalma (Kasimpassa), Geraldo (Parana), Guilherme Afonso (FC Vaduz), Mauncho (Real Valladolid), Mateus (Nacional), Yano (Progresso Sambizanga).
- Ghana to Buy Electricity From Ivory Coast To Watch 2015 AFCON Semi Final
- AFCON 2015: Gradel's Goal Sends The Ivory Coast Through To The Quarter Finals
- AFCON 2015 Hosts Equatorial Guinea Sack Head Coach
- URA’s Isabirye unfazed about CAF confederations opponent
- AFCON 2015 Group Draws: Ghana draws Algeria in bloody Group C
Latest from Ismael Kiyonga
- SC Villa seek redemption as they host URA FC | Uganda Premier League
- KCCA seek return to winning ways | Uganda Premier League
- Ex-URA FC striker Ngama summoned for Burundi duty against Niger | 2017 AFCON qualifiers
- KCCA FC 1-1 Express FC: Mutyaba late strike denies Express FC | UPL
- All eyes on Isabirye as Bul. FC visits URA FC at Lugazi | Uganda Premier League