The Uganda Cranes team that has been training for the June 1st friendly with Libya has been trimmed. Kawowo Sports has learnt that a 16 man team will fly to Istanbul where they will meet 6 other Cranes players that are foreign based before heading to Libya.
Among the new boys in the squad are KCC FC's Herman Wasswa who top scored in the Fufa Super League, Kiira Young's Richard Kasagga and Portugul based Alex Kakuba who are expected to make their debuts. Sports Club Victoria University's centre back Savio Kabugo and Gor Mahia's Daniel 'Mzee' Serunkuma who made their debut against Rwanda early this year also made the squad.
The travelling contigent which has nine local based players is expected to link up with six others in Istanbul before connecting to Libya. The six are South Africa based goalie Denis Onyango, Vietnam trio of Henry Kisekka, Moses Oloya and Geoffrey Kizito plus Leixoes FC midfielder William Luwagga Kizito who has never featured for the senior national team
The Cranes who face Libya in a Tripoli friendly this Saturday, travel Thursday morning at 3AM aboard Turkish Air after the travel plans were rescheduled for the third time. This will be Mulitin 'Micho' Sredojevic's first match in charge of the Uganda Cranes after being appointed to replace the sacked Bobby Williamson.
Cranes will face Liberia on June 8 in the group J 2014 World Cup qualifiers in what will be Micho's maiden competitive match before facing Angola a week later at Mandela National Stadium, Namboole.
Goal keepers: Denis Onyango (Mamelodi Sundowns, SA), Ali Kimera (SCVU) and Abel Dhaira (Simba SC, TZ)
Defenders: Nicholas Wadada (Vipers SC), Denis Guma (SCVU), Richard Kasagga (Kiira Young), Ivan Bukenya (Arbil, Iraq), Israel Emuge (Gor Mahia), Alex Kakuba, Savio Kabugo (SCVU).
Midfielders: Musa Mudde (Simba SC, TZ), Joseph Mpande (Vipers SC), Said Kyeyune (URA FC), Hassan Wasswa (KCC FC), William Luwagga Kizito (Leixoes, Portugal), Moses Oloya and Geoffrey Baba Kizito (Sai Gon, Vietnam)
Strikers: Daniel Sserunkuma (Gor Mahia), Hamis Kiiza (Yanga, TZ), Herman Wasswa (KCC FC) and Henry Kisekka
- Malaria rules Sentamu out of Togo clash, Kabugo doubtful | AFCON 2015 Qualifiers
- Togo puts an end to Cranes’ 10 year home unbeaten record | AFCON 2015 Qualifiers
- Uganda Vs Togo: Micho makes no change from starting X1 against Guinea | AFCON 2015 Qualifiers
- Partisan dressing banned ahead of Uganda vs Togo
- Micho intent on breaking Uganda Cranes AFCON jinx
Latest from Ismael Kiyonga
- Jamal Salim inspires El Merriekh to Sudan Cup
- Miya Farouq strikes late to sink Lweza FC | Uganda Premier League
- Ssimbwa faces former employers, KCC FC away to Sadolin | Uganda Premier League
- We lost to a very experienced Togo side – Uganda Cranes coach, Micho
- Geoffrey Massa: Qualification still possible | AFCON 2015 Qualifiers