The Uganda Cranes team that has been training for the June 1st friendly with Libya has been trimmed. Kawowo Sports has learnt that a 16 man team will fly to Istanbul where they will meet 6 other Cranes players that are foreign based before heading to Libya.
Among the new boys in the squad are KCC FC's Herman Wasswa who top scored in the Fufa Super League, Kiira Young's Richard Kasagga and Portugul based Alex Kakuba who are expected to make their debuts. Sports Club Victoria University's centre back Savio Kabugo and Gor Mahia's Daniel 'Mzee' Serunkuma who made their debut against Rwanda early this year also made the squad.
The travelling contigent which has nine local based players is expected to link up with six others in Istanbul before connecting to Libya. The six are South Africa based goalie Denis Onyango, Vietnam trio of Henry Kisekka, Moses Oloya and Geoffrey Kizito plus Leixoes FC midfielder William Luwagga Kizito who has never featured for the senior national team
The Cranes who face Libya in a Tripoli friendly this Saturday, travel Thursday morning at 3AM aboard Turkish Air after the travel plans were rescheduled for the third time. This will be Mulitin 'Micho' Sredojevic's first match in charge of the Uganda Cranes after being appointed to replace the sacked Bobby Williamson.
Cranes will face Liberia on June 8 in the group J 2014 World Cup qualifiers in what will be Micho's maiden competitive match before facing Angola a week later at Mandela National Stadium, Namboole.
Goal keepers: Denis Onyango (Mamelodi Sundowns, SA), Ali Kimera (SCVU) and Abel Dhaira (Simba SC, TZ)
Defenders: Nicholas Wadada (Vipers SC), Denis Guma (SCVU), Richard Kasagga (Kiira Young), Ivan Bukenya (Arbil, Iraq), Israel Emuge (Gor Mahia), Alex Kakuba, Savio Kabugo (SCVU).
Midfielders: Musa Mudde (Simba SC, TZ), Joseph Mpande (Vipers SC), Said Kyeyune (URA FC), Hassan Wasswa (KCC FC), William Luwagga Kizito (Leixoes, Portugal), Moses Oloya and Geoffrey Baba Kizito (Sai Gon, Vietnam)
Strikers: Daniel Sserunkuma (Gor Mahia), Hamis Kiiza (Yanga, TZ), Herman Wasswa (KCC FC) and Henry Kisekka
- KNOW YOUR STAR: Goalie Mathias Kigonya dreams of a Uganda Cranes Summon
- Micho attacks his predecessors, Ugandan football market
- Uganda Cranes now switch focus to AFCON 2019
- Uganda Cranes media officer hints on resignation
- ISMAEL KIYONGA: Mwesigwa, Micho are just Scapegoats, Lets address Real problems
Latest from Ismael Kiyonga
- Guinea finish second in group D after winning draw of Lots
- FLASHBACK: Revisiting Morocco 1988 when Drawing of Lots was first experienced in AFCON
- CONFIRMED: Nsereko buys majority shares in SC Victoria University
- REPORTS: Kampala Central MP Muhammad Nsereko on the verge of taking over at SCVU
- FKF Vs KPL: Possibility of Two Topflight Leagues looming in Kenya