The 2013 CECAFA Kagame Cup championships will go on as planned despite the withdrawal of five top clubs, Cecafa Secretary-general Nicholas Musonye has said. The competition starts on Tuesday in Sudan states of North Darfur and South Gordofan without clubs from Kenya and Tanzania.
CECAFA champions Yanga and Tanzania league champions Simba opted out of the competition citing security concerns and were followed by Kenya’s representatives Tusker.
Ethiopia’s St Georges did not enter the draw as they are involved in the Confederations Cup. Despite hosting the tourney, even Sudan’s top club’s El Merrick and Al Hilal also opted not to take place in the competition.
Nevertheless, Musonye remained bullish as he left Kenya Thursday for Sudan. “The competition will continue. We will soldier on. We have replacements already from Chad and (the Democratic Republic of) Congo,” he said.
“We can’t force clubs to participate. It is the region that is losing. We have a sponsor on board yet they have opted out. Sudan has also offered adequate security but the clubs don’t want to hear any of this. I am deeply frustrated,” said Musonye who read politics in the saga from forces against CECAFA.
Former Uganda champions URA FC were also invited to take part in the tournament. The tournament has a prize of $60,000with the winner pocketing $30,000 runner up $20,000 and second runner up $10,000.
- APR FC, El Merriekh in battle for Kagame Cup Championship
- KCC FC, Police FC braced for Third Place Play off fight | Kagame Cup
- APR FC edge Police FC, storm finals | Kagame Cup
- Jamal Salim saviour again as El Merriekh beat KCC to reach Kagame Cup finals
- Painful exit for Vital’O, Gor Mahia from Kagame Cup
Latest from Ismael Kiyonga
- Shared Spoils as Lweza hold URA, Simba earns point against Express FC
- Express FC host Simba, Lweza away to URA | Uganda Premier League
- Sekagya names Obua, Mukasa in His Ugandan Best XI he played with
- Kimuli denies Bright Stars | Uganda Premier League
- Vipers Vs Soana, KCC Vs SC Villa Called off | Uganda Premier League