Ghana 0-0 Nigeria (AET) – Ghana won 4-1 on penalties
Ten-man Ghana held off free scoring Nigeria super eagle for 120 minutes before eliminating them 4-1 on penalties to reach the 2014 Africa Nations Championship.
The 120 minutes ended in a barren draw and for the first time in this championship, Stephen Keshi’s charges failed to get on the score sheet.
Ghana had to play over an hour with a man less after defender Kwabena Adusei was sent off for a second bookable offence on striker Abubaker Ibrahim in a fiercely contested semi-final at Free State stadium.
Nigeria were lethargic in front of goal for 120 minutes and it came back to haunt them in the shoot-out when all but their star man Christantus Ejike converted the Super Eagles’ solitary penalty.
Ghana goalkeeper Stephen Adams was the Black Stars hero, saving Solomon Kwambe's spot kick before Ugonna Uzochukwu skied his penalty to extinguish Nigeria’s hopes of a continental double after last year’s AFCON triumph.
Ghana converted all their spot kicks thanks to Michael Akuffo, Theohilus Anobaah, Samuel Ainooson and the clincher from Abraham Attobrah to reach their first final since 2009.
Ghana face Libya on February 1 in the final in Cape Town after the latter also went through after beating Zimbabwe on post match penalties to reach their debut CHAN final.
- USPA Nominates 2014 Best Sportsmen
- Nigeria sack Coach Stephen Keshi
- AFCON 2015 ROUND UP: Algeria, Cape Verde qualify, Zambia & Nigeria revive fortunes and Uganda suffers set back
- Kampala dates North East in opener | FUFA Women inter-regions tourney
- AFCON 2015 Qualifiers: Bottom Placed Nigeria Host Sudan, Malawi Visit Unbeaten Algeria
Latest from Ismael Kiyonga
- Vipers edge KCC to maintain table lead
- UPL Title Run In: Who amongst the three title contenders has the easiest fixture?
- Kira Young seek double over Express | Uganda Premier League
- Gigantic duel as KCC hosts Vipers | Uganda Premier League
- Police edge relegation candidates Rwenshama | Uganda Premier League