1st Kitante Golf Open Overall Winners:
- Men: Dr. David Musisi – 136 Nett
- Ladies: Soon Yoon – 145 Nett
As the inaugural Kitante Golf Open climaxed at the par 72 Uganda Golf Club in Kampala on Saturday evening, there were key moments recorded.
First, two key names (Dr. David Musisi and Soon Yoon) were in-scripted in the archives of the historic golfing club as the first ever winners of the Kitante Golf Open championship.
Handicap 19 golfer Musisi returned 90 gross (71 nett) on day one and 84 gross (65 nett) on the subsequent day to amass a total of 136 nett over the two day’s action.
Soon Yoon was the best overall female in the two day’s championship that drew 230 golfers across the different golfing clubs in the country.
The main winners received their prizes from the guest of honour, Allen Kagina (Executive Director of the Uganda Roads Authority).
Kagina congratulated the winners as she vowed to join the joining bandwagon should her work schedule permit.
“I congratulate all the winners at the 2018 Kitante Golf Open. This is a great moment to associate and network” Kagina noted in her speech.
Meanwhile, the Uganda national team golf captain Becca Mwanja, playing off scratch was the best gross player over 36 holes.
National team golfer Michael Tumusiime took group A (handicap 9 and below).
Dave Plendereith , handicap 9 scored a total of 143 nett over two days to take the first runners up slot.
Odiama won group B with 140 nett and the day one leader, Mbuso Gwafila was the best in group C (19-28 handicap).
Mwanja returned an identical 76 score on the first and back nine course on day before scoring 75 gross apiece on day two to amass a total of 151 gross and nett.
Dr. Rose Azuba was the best in group A with 148 nett. Dr. Katy Kabenge and the reigning USPA lady golfer of the year (2017) Martha Babirye came second and third respectively.
With 146 nett, Ruth Ssali won group B. Tian Qiu Xiang (147 nett) was second as Dorren Mwesigye came third with 150 nett.
Kiwe Sebunya took the men’s nearest to the pin contest as Moureen Nasimolo won the ladies’ version.
Moses Matisko and Irene Nakalembe were the top performers in the longest drives men and women respective competitions.
The two day event was proudly sponsored by Airtel Uganda, Liberty Assurance Company and Crown Beverages.
Center Motors staked a brand new Kia Sorento car for the hole in one shot on hole 11 although the prize remained unclaimed.
Music diva Lydia Yasmine entertained the guests at the famous 19th hole after the official prize giving ceremony.
The championship will be an annual event.
2018 Kitante Golf Open Top Performers:
- Men: David Musisi – 136 Nett
- Ladies: Soon Yoon – 145 Nett
- Winner: Michael Tumusiime – 141 Nett
- 1st Runners Up: Dave Plenderieth – 143 Nett
- 2nd Runners Up: Yusuf Ssentongo – 146 Nett
- Winner: D. Odiama – 140 Nett
- 1st Runners Up: Salani J – 141 Nett
- 2nd Runners Up: Lim Lim – 144 Nett
- Winner: Mbuso Gwafila – 142 Nett
- 1st Runners Up: Wu Wei Ling – 143 (Countback)
- 2nd Runners Up: Ndyaguma P. (143)
- Winner: Rose Azuba – 148 Nett
- 1st Runners Up: Katy Kabenge – 151 Nett
- 2nd Runners Up: Martha Babirye – 152 Nett (Countback)
- Winner: Ruth Ssali – 146 Nett
- 1st Runners Up: Tian Qiu Xiang – 147 Nett
- 2nd Runners Up: Doreen Mwesigye – 150 Nett
- Becca Mwanja – 151
Nearest to the Pin:
- Men: Kiwe Sebunya
- Ladies: Moureen Nasimolo
- Men: Moses Matisko
- Ladies: Irene Nakalembe