54th San Silvestre Vallecana:
1. Jacob Kiplimo (Uganda) – 26:41
2. Abadi Hadis (Ethiopia) – 26:54
3. Mande Busheneich (Uganda) – 27:24
Ugandan teenager Jacob Kiplimo ran the fastest ever 10KM race event in the world, winning the 54th San Silvestre Vallecana, an IAAF Silver Label road race held in the Spanish city of Madrid on new year’s eve.
Kiplimo, 18, clocked 26:41, the fastest 10km ever run and a course record.
The downhill nature of the course (5.5m per kilometre) however, cast question marks on Kiplimo’s amazing performance because it can not count as a world record.
By and large, his performance in Madrid was still a notable performance as it took 13 seconds off the previous race record set by Eliud Kipchoge back in 2006.
I was determined to run fast and be close to the course record. I felt really strong throughout and managed to break the record so I can’t ask for more. Yes, I’m targeting the cross country world title (Aarhus, Denmark, on 30 March 2019) but my fellow Ugandan Joshua Cheptegei will be a very tough rival, even more than the Kenyans and Ethiopians guys, I thinkJacob Kiplimo, as quoted by IAAF website
As Kiplimo raced to the finishing tape, he was 13 second ahead of Ethiopia’s Abadi Hadis (26:54).
Another Ugandan, Mande Bushendich (27:24) completed the medal bracket with an incredible kick to take third place.
Abrar Osman (27:38) from horn of Africa nation Eritrea was fourth as Kenya’s Solomon Boit (28:03) was fifth.
Spaniards Juan Antonio Pérez (28:16), Toni Abadía (28:16) and Fernando Carro (28:44) completed the top eight slots.
Tanzania’s Agustino Sulle (28:46) was ninth as Yago Rojo (28:48), an Spanish national finished 10th.
Meanwhile, Kenya’s Brigid Kosgei covered the same distance to win the women event with a timing of 29 minute, 54 seconds ahead of compatriot, Hellen Obiri (29:59) and Ethiopia’s Tirunesh Dibaba (30:40).
Trihas Gebre (31:40) from Spain and Portugal’s Sara Catarina Ribeiro (31:43) were fourth and fifth respectively.
Kosgei obliterated Gelete Burka’s previous course record mark by a full minute.
Kiplimo will race next at the Cross Internacional de Italica in Seville on 20 January 2019 where he will put his 2018-19 cross country season unbeaten streak on the line.
54th San Silvestre Vallecana (Top 10):
1. Jacob Kiplimo (Uganda) 26:41
2. Abadi Hadis (Ethiopia) 26:54
3. Mande Bushendich (Uganda) 27:24
4. Abrar Osman (Eritrea) 27:38
5. Solomon Boit (Kenya) 28:03
6. Juan Antonio Pérez (Spain) 28:16
7. Toni Abadía (Spain) 28:16
8. Fernando Carro (Spain) 28:44
9. Agustino Sulle (Tanzania) 28:46
10. Yago Rojo (Spain) 28:48
1. Brigid Kosgei (Kenya) 29:54
2. Hellen Obiri (Kenya) 29:59
3. Tirunesh Dibaba (Ethiopia) 30:40
4. Trihas Gebre (Spain) 31:40
5. Sara Catarina Ribeiro (Portugal) 31:43
6. Esther Chebet (Kenya) 31:53
7. Solange Pereira (Spian) 33:19
8. Azucena Díaz (Spain) 33:20
9. María José Pérez (Spain) 33:29
10. Lily Partridge (Spain) 33:35