The road to Brazil 2014 World Cup came to an end as the Cranes lost to Senegal’s Lions of Teranga 0-1 in neutral Marrakesh, Morocco on Saturday. Sadio Mane’s 84th minute strike extinguished Uganda’s slim hopes of snatching a late winner to reach the play offs.
Kawowo Sports’ Ismael Kiyonga reviews the campaign and writes some of the interesting statistics and facts in reference to Uganda Cranes.
1. Number of points Uganda Cranes managed away from home in the campaign. It came on the opening day of the campaign in the 1-1 draw versus Angola in Luanda.
2. Number of Coaches that have managed Uganda Cranes in the campaign (Bobby Williamson & Mulitin ‘Micho’ Sredojevic). Of the eight points Cranes collected, Bobby Williamson managed only two points from three games while Micho got six in as many games.
2. Number of wins the Cranes managed both coming at home (1-0 versus Liberia & 2-1 versus Angola)
3. Number of players that have scored for Uganda Cranes in the campaign (Godfrey Walusimbi 1, Emma Okwi 2 & Tonny Mawejje 2)
5. Number of goals Cranes managed in the campaign. Four of them have come at home and only one away. In only two games have the Cranes failed to hit the back of the net (0-2 Liberia & Senegal 0-1).
6. Number of goals Cranes conceded in the campaign an average of a goal per game. They managed only one clean sheet versus Liberia at home.
1. Number of red cards Cranes collected in the campaign (Went to Godfrey Walusimbi in the last game versus Senegal).
4. Number of points group leaders Senegal managed better than Uganda. The Lions of Teranga finished with 12 points while Uganda got 8 points.
4. Number of players that made their official national team debuts in the campaign. Fabian Kizito, Boban Zirintusa, Luwagga Kizito and Martin Mutumba Kayongo – Fabian and Mutumba Vs Angola (away) and Zirintusa Vs Liberia (away) and Luwagga Vs Liberia (home).